Reading RG1 3BD
Areas of Expertise
|Financial Deputyships||Health & welfare deputyships||Expert witness statements (costs)||Local authority care services & funding|
|NHS care funding||SEN applications & appeals||Estate planning & trusts||Completion of tax returns for deputy clients|
|Court of Protection Panel of Deputies||STEP (Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners)||Solicitors for the Elderly (team)|
About Boyes Turner
Our Court of Protection (COP) service specialises in advising on and managing the affairs of people who have suffered severe injuries, often the result of a serious accident or a medical mistake or negligence.
Many of our clients are families of children who have suffered cerebral palsy or other brain injuries and our Court of Protection lawyers work with both our Medical Negligence and Personal Injury services to maximise the help, care and assistance, as well as compensation, that is obtained for clients.
We also work closely with our Special Education team, which specialises in helping parents through the special educational needs (SEN) process so that children with learning disabilities get the extra help and support they need, in the school they choose.
In addition, our community care specialist is able to advise on Health and Welfare deputyships as well as Local Authority care services and NHS care funding applications
Reading RG1 3BD
About Ruth Meyer
Ruth qualified in 1990 and specialises in Court of Protection and Trustee work. Her memberships include the Law Society’s Probate Section, the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners, Solicitors for the Elderly and the Association of Women Solicitors. She is also a panel member of Mencap.
Ruth has considerable experience in Trustee and Deputyship work and particularly in acting for clients who have suffered profound injury resulting from the negligence of others. She represents many families who have received compensation for severe injury, liaising with the family, the Court of Protection and Office of the Public Guardian to ensure all financial matters are dealt with efficiently and in the best interests of the client. Ruth’s work includes:
- Drafting and advising on the different types of Trusts to protect awarded compensation.
- Lifetime planning (eg. applying to the court to place monies into private trusts to protect assets and preserve state benefits).
- Applying to the Court of Protection concerning Deputyship, tax planning, gifts and care allowances for children and adults.
- Administering Trusts and Deputyships for families, including the employment of case managers, carers and therapists, purchasing specialised equipment and vehicles etc.
- Briefing specialist surveyors and architects to adapt properties and personally assessing properties to decide if they would be suitable homes for clients with specific needs.
- Assisting and advising on educational issues, placements and activities for clients.
- Instructing/managing independent financial advisers.
- Advising and signposting on welfare benefits.
She is regularly quoted in the national press including The Observer and Moneywise and has appeared on Moneybox and Moneybox Internet TV. Ruth has also been a guest speaker on Radio 4 and BBC Radio Berkshire.
In 2013 Ruth was ranked as a leading UK Court of Protection Solicitor in the Chambers Guide to the UK Legal Profession.