James is a partner in the Medical Negligence team at HJA; joining the firm in May 2017. He has undertaken medical negligence cases for over 20 years.
Throughout his career James has dealt with a range of cases concerning all types of claims – brain and spine injuries, delayed diagnosis cases, birth injuries, anaesthetic injuries, surgical errors, hospital negligence and all types of cancer cases. James has pursued a number of cases involving delayed diagnosis of sub arachnoid haemorrhage concluding three of these for seven figure sums.
He has pursued cases against NHS and private hospitals, General Practitioners and many disciplines of private treatment providers. In addition, he has extensive experience of hip and knee replacement surgery claims.
James joined Hodge Jones & Allen Solicitors from Slater & Gordon Lawyers where he was head of their London clinical negligence team.
James has dedicated himself to assisting those who have been injured in medical accidents of all types. He takes great pride in adopting a mature, common sense approach to his work and recognises the stress of litigation upon all those involved in the process. His aim is always to try to quickly obtain a liability decision which can then allow interim payments to be made, to assist an injured person back to work, help secure more suitable accommodation or aids and equipment. He has a large number of contacts with good expert witnesses with whom he has worked for many years.
He has acted in group actions including the Ladbroke Grove and Potters Bar train crashes, the Trilucent breast implant cases, the Ian Paterson group action and litigation arising from the De Puy ASR hips.
Commendations from independent legal directories:-
- Chambers and Partners 2020: “An excellent lawyer” with a broad practice which includes extensive experience in brain injury matters, delayed diagnosis disputes and surgical error claims. “I cannot speak highly enough of James,” remarks one source, who adds: “He is a brilliant lawyer who thinks outside the box and is someone you want on your team.”
- Chambers and Partners 2019: James Bell maintains a varied practice that encompasses an array of clinical negligence claims, including birth injuries to mother and baby, as well as amputation cases. “He is an excellent lawyer and procedurally is absolutely brilliant,” remark impressed market sources.
- Legal 500 2019: James Bell is a “warm, empathetic lawyer, who never forgets the personal dimension in each case”.
- Chambers and Partners 2017: Clients describe James as a “supportive, sympathetic and approachable lawyer who is extremely knowledgeable in the area.”
- Legal 500 2016: “excellent attention to detail and good judgement on liability issues.”
- Chambers and Partners 2016: James is “very resolute for his clients.”