Head of the Medical Negligence team at Osbornes, I have a particular focus on child and adult brain injury cases, fatal cases, obstetric and gynaecological cases, ophthalmology and complex spinal injury cases.
I am recommended by clients and peers in the leading legal directories as a leader in this field:
- “Stephanie Prior maintains a broad practice with notable focus on cases relating to gynaecological and obstetric negligence, along with adult brain in juries.” (Chambers UK, 2018 edition)
- “She fights hard for her clients and has lots of knowledge and experience.” (Chambers UK, 2018 edition)
- Having a wide-ranging caseload spanning various aspects of clinical negligence, including brain, spinal and fatal injury claims. Sources note her as “effective and tenacious at representing clients” with commentators also highlighting her as “amazing at client care.” (Chambers UK, 2017 edition)
- “A lawyer who is ‘super committed’ and does very well with claimants, particularly in situations with vulnerable individuals.” (Chambers UK, 2017 edition)
- “The highly experienced Stephanie Prior is a ‘very practical negotiator’ who ‘drives hard to achieve a good outcome’ and has a ‘strong’ experience in birth-related injuries.” (Legal 500, 2017 edition)
I would pride myself on being very approachable, and always available to explain the law to individuals who are unsure about their right to compensation.
My recent cases include:
- A claim on behalf of a man who was incorrectly prescribed medication which was also at incorrect dosage and led to permanent brain injury and the Claimant being left in a persistent vegetative state. He had been on vacation in the UK to see his son and has never been able to return to Nigeria to see his wife and daughter since his injury. He remains in hospital receiving 24 hour nursing care. The case settled after issue and service of proceedings.
- A claim of behalf of a man who was not properly cared for in the community and therefore not prompted to take his medication and this led to him not having medication to correct high blood pressure for several days and he suffered a severe stroke and is left permanently damaged.
- A claim on behalf of a man who sustained brain injury at the time of surgery to repair ruptured aorta and also suffered substandard nursing care which led to infected pressure sores and he had to undergo plastic surgery as the sores damaged his spine.
- A claim on behalf of a woman who fell and fractured her skull when in hospital at an outpatient’s appointment. There was a failure to transfer her to a neurological centre and undergo surgery and this has led to permanent brain injury and she requires 24 hour nursing care.
- Investigating several cerebral palsy claims as a consequence of poor medical care at the time of birth.
- Investigating a claim relating to birth injury which has led to the child having a deformed skull and brain injury.
I am an ex Registered General Nurse with 20 years’ experience in clinical negligence claims. I am a member of and Senior Litigator status at the Association of Personal Injury Lawyers (APIL) to which I have lectured on brain injury resulting from medical negligence. I am an accredited member of the AvMA Legal Panel, The Law Society’s Clinical Negligence Panel and a founding fellow and member of the Academic Advisory Board of the newly established Academy of Forensic Medical Sciences (AFMS).
I am very happy to speak to anyone who is thinking about bringing a claim or has a family member who has been injured, or is concerned that their current solicitor is inexperienced or too busy to deal with their case.