Our brain injury specialists
Barcan+Kirby is one of the largest medium-sized law firms in Bristol with long-established reputation for providing legal advice to individuals and businesses across the city and South Gloucestershire. In addition, the medical negligence and personal injury departments act for clients on a national basis.
Formed in April 2015 via the merger of Barcan Woodward and Kirby Sheppard, the firm now employs over 170 people, and has strengthened and broadened its depth of services.
We pride ourselves on being friendly and approachable. We are passionate about providing you with legal solutions that are intelligent, efficient and clear.
Providing a high standard of client care is the cornerstone of our success. We understand that you don’t just want a legal expert; you also want someone who listens and understands what you’re trying to achieve.
Our firm’s core values drive our culture; we combine a fresh, modern approach with traditional values.
The Partners are advocates for flexible working and proud of the high percentage of women in senior or managerial positions in comparison to other law firms. This was reflected in Barcan+Kirby winning both the Business Award for Gender at the Bristol Diversity Awards 2019 and Legal award at the Bristol Life Awards 2019.
The clinical negligence and personal injury departments are recognised both regionally and nationally for the quality of their work and the support they give to claimants. The personal injury team has particular experience in dealing with catastrophic injury cases, including claims arising from brain, back and spinal injuries.
Other areas of expertise include:
- Family law, including divorce and separation, matrimonial finances, child arrangements, care proceedings, domestic violence and child abduction.
- Wills, Trusts, Probate and Estate Administration, and Powers of Attorney (many of the team are members of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP) or Solicitors for the Elderly, and several hold the STEP Advanced Certificate in advising vulnerable clients)
- Court of Protection, led by Tom Sharkey who is a Law Society accredited practitioner in Mental Capacity and is on the Brain Injury Group’s Court of Protection panel.
- Residential conveyancing, including advice on re-mortgaging, buy-to-let investments, leasehold flats, new builds and shared ownership homes, as well as straightforward domestic property transactions.
- Employment law for employees and employers, including HR services
- Dispute Resolution, including commercial and contract disputes, property litigation, commercial property and debt recovery
- Notary services for individuals and businesses
- Corporate and Commercial law
- Commercial Disputes
- Commercial Property
- Commercial Property Disputes