in News.

This article was updated in October 2023.

Go to the updated version of What is Personal Independence Payment (PIP)?

Personal Independence Payment is available to people who need help with everyday life or have difficulties getting around due to a long-term illness or disability. It has replaced Disability Living Allowance for people of working age.

How much Personal Independence Payment (PIP) can I receive?

The amount awarded for Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is based on needs and is split into two parts, a Daily Living component and a Mobility component. These components are subsequently paid at either a standard or enhanced rate and this is determined by the amount of points awarded for each descriptor. There are twelve descriptors in total, 10 relating to Daily Living and 2 relating to Mobility.

Can I get Personal Independence Payment?

To get PIP, you must:

  • Need help with everyday tasks or getting about, or both
  • Have needed this help for at least 3 months and expect to need it for at least a further 9 months (there are different rules for anyone terminally ill with less than 6 months to live)
  • Be of working age
  • Be habitually resident in the UK
  • Have lived in the UK for 2 of the last 3 years

To qualify for the daily living component, you need to score 8 points for the standard rate and 12 points for the enhanced rate from the relevant descriptors. To get an award of the mobility component, you need to score 8 points for the standard rate and 12 points for the enhanced rate from the relevant descriptors.

Is the Personal Independence Payment tax free?

PIP is tax free and is not dependent upon National Insurance contributions to be entitled to it. It is not affected by earnings, other income, capital or savings. It is almost always paid in full on top of any other benefits or tax credits in payment. You can get PIP as well as Employment & Support Allowance or Universal Credit.

Is the Personal Independence Payment for me or my carer?

PIP is for you, not for a carer. You can qualify for PIP whether or not you have someone helping you. What matters is the effect the disability or health condition has on you and the help you need, not whether you actually get that help. PIP can be spent on anything and also acts as a ‘passport’ for other types of help.

How can I claim Personal Independence Payment?

PIP is claimed by calling 0800 917 2222. You will be asked for information including your National Insurance number, bank or building society details, doctors or health worker’s name and details of any time spent abroad, or in a care home or hospital.

You will then be sent a questionnaire to complete on how your disability affects you. Once the completed form has been returned to the Department for Work & Pensions, the claim will be assessed by a healthcare professional and you may be invited to attend a face-to-face assessment.

How does Personal Independence Payment affect other benefits I receive?

If you live alone and you are awarded either rate of the Daily Living component, you may qualify for additional premiums if you receive Employment & Support Allowance.

If you are in employment, you may qualify for additional working tax credit as a disabled worker. Someone could also claim Carer’s Allowance for looking after you. However, should you be in receipt of Income-related Employment & Support Allowance and live alone, you may lose entitlement to the Severe Disability Premium.

Can I claim other benefits whilst receiving Personal Independence Payment?

If you are awarded PIP, you should check your eligibility for other benefits.

PIP can act as a passport to other types of help including:

  • Disabled person’s railcard – up to a third off most rail fare
  • Blue Badge in England and Wales
  • Road tax discount of 50% – if you get the standard mobility rate
  • Road tax exemption – if you get the enhanced mobility rate

You may also:

  • qualify for free local bus travel in England and Wales – contact your local council to find out more
  • be able to use the Motability scheme if you get the enhanced rate of mobility

What if my claim for Personal Independence Payment has been turned down?

If you disagree with the decision, you have one month to request a mandatory reconsideration. This give the DWP the opportunity to look at the decision again. If you still disagree with the decision following mandatory reconsideration, you have one month to appeal to HM Courts & Tribunals Service.

You can find more information on PIP on the government website at

Where can I get free advice on Personal Independence Payment and welfare benefits?

If you would like free initial, no obligation advice on welfare benefits, please email

Produced by Phil Runciman, Welfare Benefits Adviser at Nestor Financial Group Ltd

Philip Runciman is a welfare benefits adviser at Nestor. Nestor are independent financial advisers and associate members of Brain Injury Group. Prior to working for Nestor, Philip worked for the Department of Work and Pensions, and now undertakes benefit reviews, appeals, tribunals and provides general benefits advice on behalf of Nestor.

Phil has produced a number of articles (and videos) for Brain Injury Group on welfare benefits, including:

What is the Brain Injury Group?

The Brain Injury Group exists to support individuals and families affected by brain injury and the health and social care professionals working in this specialist field. Our mission is to provide anyone affected by brain injury with access to advice on legal, financial and welfare benefit issues delivered by proven experts in the field who have been chosen not only for their skills and knowledge, but also for their passion and dedication to helping people.

How can Brain Injury Group help you?

If you’ve been affected by brain injury and need free legal or welfare advice, there are several ways to get in touch:

  1. Call us on 0800 612 9660 or 03303 112541
  2. Email us at
  3. Complete this short enquiry form and we’ll get back to you
Share this page